Its weird because this time last year in my first year as November approached I found myself already thinking about where to live next. I did the typical first year on campus with the convenience of a weekly cleaner, daily bin removals, and the comfort of my friends being a few floors away.
This year things have completely changed. I live of campus in a house with friends…which is what all my other friends have done…but again already in my mind I’m thinking what am I doing next year?
Pro’s- Halls and Accommodation on Campus
1) Convenience – Waking up late and never worrying about lateness
2) Ease of access- Close proximity to city centre and broad street, brindley place and all the best Birmingham has to offer
3) Warm- Close to friends
4) Lack of commuting
5) Safety- These student designed places often have security which makes you feel safer etc
Pros of an off campus house
1) New setting and environment that can often be a breath of fresh air after lectures and hectic practicals
2) Cost its often cheaper despite the £400ish one of cost for a bus ticket
3) Freedom to live with friends although this can be done on campus in the ASV too
4) Opportunity to explore
5) Literally a home away from home. Instead of scanning and lifts and stuff at my house this year I feel warm and cosy and really at home.
But everyone is different. We all want different things, one thing for sure is that my friends preferred to stay on campus but it something we all think about… Aston is really helpful in finding accommodation with the student union pad, the hub etc.